South Beach diet is one of the popular types of diet today. On the other hand, diabetics are required to follow a certain type of diet to better manage their health condition. Is it possible to follow the South Beach Diet as an for aid one’s diabetic condition? Do South Beach Diet and diabetes complement each other?
South Beach Diet is an effective diet that makes the body rely on the right type of carbohydrates and fats. This diet was created by Dr. Arthur Agatston in his quest to provide his patients with a diet that can help with their heart disease. But in the long run, people see that this diet devised by the doctor had helped a lot of people to lose weight. As a result, it has been adapted not only by heart disease patients alone, but by almost everybody who wanted to shed some of their body fats as well.
However, diabetic patients should educate themselves before plunging head-on to a South Beach regimen. First and foremost, the American Diabetes Association is yet to officially recommend the diet. Whether or not it should be followed by diabetics depends on many factors. For those who want to know whether or not the South Beach Diet is going to help with their health condition, here are good points to consider:
1. Always ask approval from your health provider whether a particular diet is going to be helpful to you. Prior to starting the South Beach diet, or any other diet for that matter, better consult with your doctor or dietician beforehand.
Pay them a visit and if they determine out that the diet could work on you, then that should be the only time you should proceed. Certain patients have certain nutritional requirements. A single diet cannot be followed by all diabetics. A more personalized diet is required. And this is why the intervention of a doctor is required.
2. If the South Beach diet was approved by your doctor, take some nutritional supplements during the first two phases of the diet. The South Beach diet is divided into three phases. The first two phases are the most critical parts.
Phase I requires a patient to restrain eating certain types of food for a span of two weeks. This is also when the body is being subjected to the lowest glycemic index carbohydrates in order to attain weight loss. And because you can’t eat certain types of foods that may be necessary to aid your health condition, nutritional supplements would do it for you.
During Phase II, the patients are allowed to reintroduce the foods removed from the diet. But then again, the body cannot react immediately to the changes so the taking of nutritional supplements should still be continued.
3. Don’t cut down on water. When following any type of diet, especially the South Beach diet, it is important that you keep your body hydrated all the time. Strive to drink at least eight glasses of water each day.
4. Select the right South Beach diet recipes that work well with your diabetes. The South Beach diet has a long list of foods that can and can not be eaten. The same is true to all diabetics. Diabetics are not allowed to eat certain types of foods. The only difference between them is that the list used by diabetics are usually given by their respective doctors.
What should be done then, is to compare both lists. Try to match the foods that you can eat from the foods that you can not. Never eat the foods listed in the South Beach diet recipe that is not included in the diabetic meal plan provided by your doctor. If you want the South Beach diet to work for your diabetes, this step is very crucial.
5. Undergo regular check-ups. It is also vital that your health provider monitors your condition as you follow the South Beach diet. This is for your own good, so that anything wrong that may happen at any point during the diet would be patched up immediately. Always involve your health provider if you want to do anything or try anything. This will ensure that you won’t go wayward.
There is no direct proof that the South Beach diet and diabetes are compatible with each other. But with the right medical supervision, the two most probably would. Just make sure you follow the tips above so you will be guaranteed of only the best possible type of treatment at all times.